Look for my final post on this series Sat. Jan 26 and I really appreciate all of the input and communication.
In many ways, I am the least to try to shine a light of memory on the great man- but my admiration of him has NEVER dimmed, even all of these years later.
According to Wikipedia- Honors and Awards:
- 12-time Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year
- Three-time National Coach of the Year in 1961, 1971 and 1973. The national coach of the year award was subsequently named the Paul "Bear" Bryant Award in his honor.
- Was named Head Coach of Sports Illustrated's NCAA Football All-Century Team.
- He received 1.5 votes for the Democratic Party Presidential nomination at the extremely contentious 1968 Democratic Convention
- In February 1983, Bryant was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Ronald Reagan.
- Bryant was honored with a U.S. postage stamp in 1996.
- Country singer Roger Hallmark recorded a tribute song in his honor.
- Charles Ghigna wrote a poem that appeared in the Birmingham-Post Herald in 1983 as a tribute to Bryant.
- Super Bowl XVII was dedicated to Bryant. A moment of silence was held in his memory during the pregame ceremonies. Some of his former Alabama players were on the rosters of both teams, including Miami Dolphins nose tackle Bob Baumhower and running back Tony Nathan.
Head coaching record
In his 38 seasons as a head coach, Bryant had 37 winning seasons and participated in a total of 29 postseason bowl games, including 24 consecutively at Alabama. He won 15 bowl games, including eight Sugar Bowls.
|Maryland Terrapins (Southern Conference) (1945)|
|Kentucky Wildcats (Southeastern Conference) (1946–1953)|
|1947||Kentucky||8–3||2–3||T–9th||W Great Lakes|
|Texas A&M Aggies (Southwest Athletic Conference) (1954–1957)|
|1957||Texas A&M||8–3||4–2||3rd||L Gator||10||9|
|Alabama Crimson Tide (Southeastern Conference) (1958–1982)|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
|#Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.|
°Rankings from final AP Poll.
Post a Comment