A man I greatly admire spent many, many years honoring, serving, and caring for his mom. She was a former school teacher and even as her mind succumbed to senility- the daily memory fading slowly- she still often quoted long poems and Bible passages.
In her last days of life on earth- as the transition began to take root- this faithful son tenderly looked at his mom, silently prayed, and read from her well-worn Bible. "Mama, Trust in the Lord..."
She immediately sat up with eager eyes and finished the quote- one of the best loved in all scripture. Proverbs 3:5 and 6. It could be....and should be that hallmark verse of any human existence -
5Trust in the LORD with all your heartIf your Bible is like mine- those verses are highlighted and underlined and impressed by pen marks.
and lean not on your own understanding;
6in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Yet, what is cool is that ALL of Chapter 3 drips with these thoughts. In some ways, Proverbs Chapter 3 is a list of 'TO DO's' in a godly life- let me list them in positive statements:
- Let your heart keep God's commands- a promise of a long, peaceful life is attached to them.
- Bind steadfast love and faithfulness around your neck- write them on your heart.
- Trust in God, acknowledge Him.
- Be self-suspicious of your ways and motives- practice true humility in your heart.
- Honor God with your wealth- give of your best- your first fruits- He will reward you for that.
- Accept His discipline- He allows hard times and circumstances at times because He loves you.
- Be confident and secure- even if everything seems to be going down.
- Do good to people as you have the ability to help.
- Speak honestly and act quickly to help others.
- Lift up people of God- honor them- seek to live for God in humility.
Imagine how different our homes would be if we practiced these things. How different our businesses? How different our hallways? How different the community?
I want to also point out some random thoughts and ideas here as well:
We need to put God's wisdom at the top- even above wealth.
Finding this wisdom is blessing.
This wisdom is so powerful- it is the power of creation.
God's people sleep in peace.
The scorners and wicked look good- but their destruction happens suddenly.
God blesses His people and curses His enemies.
What legacy do we want? What inheritance do we desire?
I want favor and honor.... the wicked only end up with disgrace.