“… all things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.” Col. 1: 16b-17
I watched the movie Friday Night Lights with a few senior football players last night. It is based on a book of the same title, which tells the story of Permian High School football in the 1980’s. I read the book in 1997, but remembered very little about it.
The movie is a highly stylized production, shot very similar to Black Hawk Down. As a typical Hollywood movie, it goes over the top in many ways to keep the audience and evoke emotional reactions. I have a few positives and a couple of critiques:
1) To the average high school player- the hype is reality. It is typical for the teen to see this team as his moment, his destiny- and his small window to play as bigger than life.
2) Pressures to perform are real to players and coaches.
3) The chaos of everything is real- including the fragile relationships and family dynamics.
Points to Ponder:
1) Football out of balance is a destructive activity.
2) Truth telling is rare.
3) Relationships matter
4) Healthy families are a blessing
5) Life goes on- pain and pleasure fade with time
6) Without Jesus- all is vanity
How I want to be different:
1) Tell the truth
2) Audience of 1- He is my pressure
3) Individuals matter-
4) Instruction involves discipline
6) Trust the Lord
7) Ability to go on after football is part of my responsibility